Steve and I just lately designed and styled our new condominium within the Seattle space, and we’re in love with our Bohemian Bed room Reveal! However we used numerous DIY tasks in that reveal…to maintain prices down, after all, but additionally to create a extra private design. And, we used numerous Ikea furnishings as properly, and this painted dresser thought is an effective way to replace plain furnishings items. This DIY dresser makeover was considered one of our favourite DIY’s from the bed room, and we love how anybody can do that mission! Not solely that, you can create your personal coloration scheme, use a distinct form or change up your drawer to suit any model bed room. Right here is our step-by-step earlier than and after tutorial for our DIY dresser with a Bohemian geometric twist!
DIY Dresser Tutorial
Painted Dresser Provides
- Ikea wooden dresser
- Pint of matte or satin paint (See chalk paint recipe beneath)
- Foam brushes and/or curler
- Scrap cardboard
- Measuring tape
- Masking or painters tape
Make Chalk Paint with Baking Soda
So I’m type of a lazy DIY’er, I’m at all times on the lookout for a fast option to get the very best end result. Chalk paint has been identified for a couple of years as an effective way to repaint dressers and different furnishings items with out having to do all of the prep and sanding… Nevertheless, it may be costly! So after a bit of googling and a few experimentation, I made my very own! After all, you are able to do this mission with common acrylic paint. Simply make sure to sand and presumably prime first.
Chalk Paint Recipe
- 1 cup matte or satin paint
- 1/three cup baking soda
- Just a few tablespoons water to combine
I began working this by means of with a recipe from ‘Condo Remedy’. Whereas they’re a terrific useful resource, they warned many individuals had been having bother getting the baking soda to combine into the paint with out turning into a gritty mess. So I attempted out a bit of thought. First I diminished the quantity of baking soda from half of cup to simply 1/three cup. As an alternative of blending all elements collectively directly, I added a couple of tablespoons of water to simply the baking soda, to dissolve it a bit first. Then I added the paint and simply combined it with a spoon, and it was good! I stored it in an hermetic container between coats to maintain it from drying out. Voila, make chalk paint with baking soda!
Repaint a Dresser with a Bohemian Vibe
So when you’ve decided in your paint coloration and , the directions for this DIY dresser are actually easy!
- Discover the middle of the underside drawer with a measuring tape, mark flippantly with pencil.
- Apply masking or painters tape from prime exterior nook to the pencil mark on the underside drawer, protecting the road as straight as attainable. You might be on the lookout for an the other way up triangle form. Burnish the sting of the painters tape down with the again of a spoon to verify the paint doesn’t bleed beneath.
- Now, merely apply your chalk paint contained in the taped strains! I like to make use of a foam brush or curler to forestall brush marks. You could want a number of coats relying on the colour you select. Take away the tape very rigorously as quickly as you end the final coat to forestall peeling up the paint. (A fantastic motive to make use of painters tape and never masking tape like I did…) In case you do get a couple of spots that peel up, watch for the entire thing to dry. Then both place one other piece of painters tape simply exterior the road that wants touching up and use the froth brush to fill in these spots, or simply contact up the spots with an artist brush.
Add Pulls to a DIY Dresser
The following half will not be almost as laborious because it appears… including drawer pulls to your dresser.
- I merely marked the midway level of every drawer with pencil utilizing my measuring tape.
- I created a template with cardboard the identical top because the drawer, and marked the middle line of the template. I then marked the spot for the holes utilizing the spacing. Principally this quantities to measuring the space between every gap on the , then marking these spots on the template, protecting the middle line centered. I then held the as much as the template to double examine the outlet positions and the matched up.
- Tape the template onto every drawer matching the middle line up on the drawer and the template. Additionally, double examine to verify your holes are stage. Utilizing a drill, and a drill bit barely smaller then the screws on your drawer pulls, drill by means of the template and thru the dresser. Repeat in the identical spot for every drawer, once more, matching up the middle of the drawer with the middle line on the template. Trace : Take away something from the dresser drawers earlier than you do that except you need it lined in wooden shavings. 😉
- Screw your into your dresser drawers and you might be achieved!
An up to date DIY dresser thought from an affordable Ikea piece that has persona and stylish model. In case you select, you’ll be able to apply a coat of clear furnishings wax to guard your painted dresser, however we haven’t and to date it has held up rather well.
In order that’s our DIY dresser with do-it-yourself chalk paint! Take a look at our publish on DIY Mattress Frames too! Then go see our total Earlier than and After Trendy Boho Stylish House Reveal over at OhMeOhMy! (Trace: It has LOTS of DIY!) And, Pin for later!
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn our disclosure for more information.